[OpenIndiana-discuss] ipfilter

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Aug 12 13:24:19 UTC 2013

On 08/12/13 09:18, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 08:53:35AM -0400, James Carlson wrote:
>> What does "svcs -xv ipfilter" say about the service?  Perhaps it failed
>> once and recovered.
>
> Here you go:
>
> svc:/network/ipfilter:default (IP Filter)
>  State: disabled since August 12, 2013 02:13:12 PM BST
>  Reason: Disabled by an administrator.

Well, that pretty much says it all.  ;-}

>     See: http://illumos.org/msg/SMF-8000-05
>     See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 5 ipfilter
>     Impact: This service is not running.
>
> After every reboot it comes up as failed, with the
> firewall_config_default/policy set to "none" too. Very strange.

At a guess, that sort of sounds like nwam being "helpful."  Only a
guess, though, as I haven't used it in years.

In any event, either someone disabled ipfilter, or some "helpful" script
has disabled the service for you.  Since I suspect nwam, my next two
stops would be either (a) googling to find out how to turn on debugging
in nwam to see if there are any clues available there or (b) disabling
nwam and going back to the old reliable (if difficult) traditional
configuration mechanism.