[OpenIndiana-discuss] Upgrade to oi_151a8 fails on one machine

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 13 22:36:32 UTC 2013

The first machine upgraded from oi_151a7 to oi_151a8 with no problems.
The command I used was: pkg image-update --be-name oi_151a8 .  It
updated 879 packages into a new BE.  It looked good when I rebooted
into that BE.

The second gave me trouble.  I used the same command, but it only
updated 37 packages.  When I rebooted into the new BE, the kernel
version was still oi_151a7 .  I rebooted back to the old BE and
destroyed the new one.

In October, I had upgraded this second machine from oi_151a5 to
oi_151a7, with no problems.  It updated 947 packages that time.

I did notice that the package `entire' was missing on the second
machine, although it was present on the first one.  I had been
upgrading this second machine periodically, starting with
opensolaris-126 .  I suppose I must have removed `entire' somewhere
along the way.  Perhaps that was the cause of the problem, but why
did the upgrade to oi_151a7 succeed?

I tried adding the correct version of `entire' for oi_151a7, in a new
BE, but `pkg image-update -n' still told me it would update only 37
packages.

What could be preventing this upgrade from working?  What should I do
next?