[OpenIndiana-discuss] Edit file in /etc/ from InstallCD

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Aug 14 19:38:06 UTC 2013

Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> writes:

> [...]

[...]

  Lucas wrote:
>>> Can you
>>> zpool import -R /realroot rpool
>>> to import the rpool under /realroot ?  You might also have to mount
>>> the filesystems after that , or create the directory before hand.

[...]

Harry replied:
>> Before I do irreparable damage:
>> Is "realroot" supposed to be a disc name like: c4d0 with the solaris
>> partition s0, like c4d0s0?

Jim K responded:
> No, this is an "alternate root" - a path prepended to all automatically
> mounted datasets from rpool, so that they do not conflict with paths
> that already exist on your system (from LiveCD). Disk names should not
> be needed as ZFS should find the pools (at least, on those HBAs/disk
> controllers for which the Live media has drivers).

OK, but I'm a bit lost.  Maybe to unskilled to understand.  Lets start
what do you mean by 'ZFS should find the pools'

The live media must have drivers for all my disks since I've installed
them from the live media.

Are you saying that `zpool list' should 'see' them?

When booted from the install media iso:
zpool list shows .. well not much:

  jack at openindiana: ~$ sudo zpool list
  no pools available

> When the pool is imported, you can try "zfs mount -a" to mount all of
> the datasets marked for auto-mounting. It is possible, however, that
> your rootfs dataset would not mount because the mount-point for it is
> not empty.

Won't I need to mount a disc that has the installed os on it first?

[...] snipped the handy detailed commands ... thanks

I must need a more basic step in here somewhere.

Looking from the install media with 'format', my discs are 'seen':

$ sudo format

  AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
         0. c4d0 <Unknown-Unknown-0001 cyl 4092 alt 2 hd 128 sec 32>
            /pci at 0,0/pci-ide at 1,1/ide at 0/cmdk at 0,0
         1. c4d1 <Unknown-Unknown-0001 cyl 4092 alt 2 hd 128 sec 32>
            /pci at 0,0/pci-ide at 1,1/ide at 0/cmdk at 1,0
         2. c6t0d0 <ATA-VBOX HARDDISK-1.0-8.00GB>
            /pci at 0,0/pci8086,2829 at d/disk at 0,0
         3. c6t1d0 <ATA-VBOX HARDDISK-1.0-8.00GB>
            /pci at 0,0/pci8086,2829 at d/disk at 1,0
         4. c6t2d0 <ATA-VBOX HARDDISK-1.0-8.00GB>
            /pci at 0,0/pci8086,2829 at d/disk at 2,0
         5. c6t3d0 <ATA-VBOX HARDDISK-1.0-8.00GB>
            /pci at 0,0/pci8086,2829 at d/disk at 3,0

The os disks, (setup as a mirrored rpool):
  0. c4d0
  1. c4d1

Not sure what is unknown about them... they are IDE discs. and I've
been running 151a7 on it for over a week now.

2 and 3 are zpool hp1
4 and 5 are zpool hp2

Bother are mirrored 2 disc zpools

But I'm still not 'getting' how to make any of this available to
'jack' on the install media?