[OpenIndiana-discuss] Edit file in /etc/ from InstallCD

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Aug 14 20:30:58 UTC 2013

jason matthews <jason at broken.net> writes:

> On Aug 14, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>

>> Jim K responded:
>>> No, this is an "alternate root" - a path prepended to all automatically
>>> mounted datasets from rpool, so that they do not conflict with paths
>>> that already exist on your system (from LiveCD). Disk names should not
>>> be needed as ZFS should find the pools (at least, on those HBAs/disk
>>> controllers for which the Live media has drivers).
>>
>> OK, but I'm a bit lost.  Maybe to unskilled to understand.  Lets start
>> what do you mean by 'ZFS should find the pools'
>>
>> The live media must have drivers for all my disks since I've installed
>> them from the live media.
>>
>> Are you saying that `zpool list' should 'see' them?
>>

> Not initially. But, zpool import, should see them. Once imported,
> zpool list will see them.
>
> Import the pool by following Kilmov's instructions.

OK, but unless JimK meant something else was to be inserted in the
command, it fails here:

jack at openindiana:~$ zpool import -N -R /realroot rpool
cannot import 'rpool': no such pool available

I'm sure I must be really testing everyone's patience but I must just
be a bit too dense to understand what I'm being told to do.