[OpenIndiana-discuss] Edit file in /etc/ from InstallCD

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Aug 15 19:50:55 UTC 2013

Jonathan Adams <t12nslookup at gmail.com> writes:

> what output do you get from a "zpool import -f" ?

OK, back in action with a clone.  That ouput sees the other os zpools:

,----
|    [...] snipped extraneous zpools
|
|    pool: rpool
|      id: 6524447739683880988
|   state: ONLINE
|  status: The pool was last accessed by another system.
|  action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
|         the '-f' flag.
|    see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
|  config:
|
|         rpool       ONLINE
|           mirror-0  ONLINE
|             c4d0s0  ONLINE
|             c4d1s0  ONLINE
`----

So back to mounting:

Seems all of JimK's commands now work (Thanks again JimK) and I'm able
to follow along and get the other OS root mounted using those commands
just as he laid them out, but with one exception.... seems that '-f'
flag MUST be added to the command as below in order for it to work
(Emphasis added -hp)

   zfs import **-f** -N -R /realroot rpool

Thanks to Lucas, Jim, Jason and Jonathan... all of who steered me in
the right direction.... with enough hand holding, finally got the
technique into my pea brain.

I think I can be a little more confident about rescuing my OS, should
the need arise again.