[OpenIndiana-discuss] trying to get 4K aligned root pool on ESX

Steve Goldthorpe OpenIndiana at waistcoat.org.uk
Sun Aug 18 16:23:25 UTC 2013

No matter what I try I can't seem to get a 4K aligned root pool using the
OpenIndiana installer (oi151-a7 live image).
I'm using ESXi using 4K aligned disks.  VMware ensures the virtual disks
are 4K aligned and I can get the root pool 4K aligned by fudging sd.conf on
the live image.

cd /kernel/drv
echo 'sd-config-list =' >> sd.conf
echo '  "VMware","physical-block-size:4096";' >> sd.conf
update_drv -vf sd

When he install starts zdb shows that i've got ashift=12 and so that part
is OK however on the rpool the installer creates, it always use partition 0
for the rpool and starts that on cylinder 1.  As it thinks the geometry is
255 heads & 63 sectors/track this will surely not be aligned.  Do I have to
fudge the geometry too somehow?

I think none root pool disks will be fine as I can use EFI labels and
spectify ashift=12.

Any ideas?

-Steve Goldthorpe