[OpenIndiana-discuss] trying to get 4K aligned root pool on ESX

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Mon Aug 19 11:02:45 UTC 2013

You shouldn't put ESX volumes in rpool.  Create a separate pool - if necessary first partition your disk - and put the volumes into the second pool.

If you partition your disk, you should be aware that zfs only enables the disk hardware write-back cache for systems where zfs has control of the whole disk.  So you might have to script something with "format" to enable the disk cache on those devices.