[OpenIndiana-discuss] re-install grub [SOLVED]

axelle_apvrille at yahoo.fr axelle_apvrille at yahoo.fr
Fri Aug 30 12:54:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

>> I'll now need to work out how to have Linux/Windows/OpenIndiana on the
>> same grub, but I've seen docs about that.
>
> OI and Windows is relatively simple, via chainloading.
> OI and recent Linux (with GRUB2, or rather new filesystems not
> supported by OI's version of GRUB) - this may be more tricky.

Unfortunately, that's what I have.
I already have OI+Windows on grub, that's no problem.
All my issues started when I installed Linux Mint 15, which failed to
install its GRUB2 (because of not enough space before the first sector of
XP) and overwrote OI's grub...

> I think chainloading failed that time for me when I tried,
> but this attempt was long ago and I am not certain of its
> details now. Possibly you'd need to stack another "external"
> bootloader in MBR that would chainload OI or Linux or Windows.

Yes, perhaps I'll stack another bootloader. It's a good idea if it does
not work straight away.

> upgrade won't destroy your ability to boot, again :)

To be fair, for once, it's not Windows that destroyed things but Linux  ;)

==

> Now, if you install Linux after OpenIndiana,
> first copy the MBR created by OpenIndiana, then
> install Linux, then copy its grub.cfg, then
> overwrite the MBR by the one from OpenIndiana
> and apply the procedure above.

Ok thanks I'll try that.

-- Axelle