[OpenIndiana-discuss] re-install grub [SOLVED]

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 30 15:45:25 UTC 2013

Jean-Pierre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> axelle_apvrille at yahoo.fr wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> OI and Windows is relatively simple, via chainloading.
>>> OI and recent Linux (with GRUB2, or rather new filesystems not
>>> supported by OI's version of GRUB) - this may be more tricky.
>>
>> Unfortunately, that's what I have.
>> I already have OI+Windows on grub, that's no problem.
>> All my issues started when I installed Linux Mint 15, which failed to
>> install its GRUB2 (because of not enough space before the first sector
>> of XP) and overwrote OI's grub...
>
> Of course, grub for OpenIndiana will overwrite the MBR (512 bytes)
> set by the grub2 for Linux, but that is all.
>
> I do not understand the space before XP issue. AFAIK, apart from
> the MBR, the grub code (several stages) resides in the partition
> in which it is installed. Installing Linux will only modify the MBR
> and the Linux root partition, likewise grub for OpenIndiana will
> overwrite the MBR and the OpenIndiana partition.

Thinking more about it, there may be several ways to install
grub files, namely either on the MBR or within the target
partition. You probably chose the former (or this is the
Mint imposed way) so you hit the space limit before the first
partition. I installed Fedora which apparently did the other
way (I do not remember having been asked about it).