[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool replace says the disk has a different sector alignment

Francis Swasey Frank.Swasey at uvm.edu
Mon Dec 2 16:45:40 UTC 2013

I believe I have finally found the root cause, and if I am right, I would have had this issue no matter what.  I discovered when I finally got downtime on the system last Friday, that the IBM firmware upgrade included Seagate SAS drive firmware updates.  It has updated all the drives now to the same version that is on the new drive, and they are now logical blocksize of 512, but physical of 4096 - where before the reboot of the server, I was seeing logical and physical of both 4096.

I am proceeding to empty the zpool, so I can rebuild it.  Just as I would have needed to when the new drive showed up with this current version of the Seagate firmware installed on it.

Frank