[OpenIndiana-discuss] Manual installation procedures

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Dec 4 01:35:11 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Completing my recent burst of activity regarding installation of
OpenIndiana (and probably applicable to many other distros, as
this practice started back with Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris SXCE),
I present the remaining chapters for "manual optimization of OS
on-disk layout".

I certainly won't mind if any of these suggestions make it into
the distro and/or installation wizard in order to reduce manual
labor. But I don't want to start another flame war with proponents
of the "simple by default, even if sub-optimal" approach. It is
also valid with a right to be used :)

And also I won't mind corrections if something of what I wrote
is misguidance or FUD... I don't pretend to know everything :-P
And Confluence helps with a fair share of typos and mangled code...

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Creating+aligned+rpool+partitions

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Creating+an+rpool+manually

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Split-root+installation

The earliest article in this family may be outdated, it has not
been revised much in the year or two that passed since initial
publishing... But it is not about the path people should take
very often, either :)

http://wiki.openindiana.org/display/oi/Advanced+-+Manual+installation+of+OpenIndiana+from+LiveCD+media

Hope this helps somebody (at the very least, it would help me when I
install my next systems and would want to step into this all again),
//Jim Klimov