[OpenIndiana-discuss] NIC driver for Hyper-V

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Dec 5 21:55:21 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-05 20:02, Carsten Grzemba wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> has somebody some experience for use openindiana on Hyper-V? (yes, I know there are better environments;-)
> The network works only with legacy network card with dnet driver, but there only with 100mb. Is there a other driver which works on the Hyper-V virtual NIC's?
> So far I know Hyper-V do not support Solaris or Illumos.

Not much experience. I am not sure we've tried OpenIndiana, but
we did need to recover a failing Solaris 10 x86 server into a VM
once, and a sufficiently beefy one was a Windows server.

Solaris 10 did fail to install (maybe even start anywhere far)
in Hyper-V, and we did not insist much - instead, they went for
VirtualBox as known to work well with Solaris guests and hosts.

If you do go this way, google for the commands to disable Hyper-V
so that its drivers don't capture the CPU and preclude another
hypervisor from even starting. And there are several freeware
and/or opensource wrappers for making Windows Services out of
VirtualBox VMs, we finally chose vboxctrl from vu1tur.eu.org.
These services work with a caveat that in Windows architecture
only one context may run the VirtualBox RMI registry - so you
have either headless services, or the interactive GUI or CLI
commands. Finally, we had bad clock experience with VirtualBox
4.2, but the latest 4.1 worked with great stability; did not
try 4.3 anywhere yet.

Sorry for the offtopic - but if you are stuck with a Windows
host and do need to run a Solaris/OI guest, there are options ;)

HTH,
//Jim Klimov