[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zpool crashes system on reboot and import

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Thu Dec 12 16:36:31 UTC 2013

On 12/12/13, 9:06 AM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 12/12/2013 16:14, Stephan Budach wrote:
>>>
>>> And how did you manage to set the read-only attribute the first time?
>>> Were there any problems or tricks involved? As CJ suggested, one
>>> wouldn't be able to do this on a pool imported read-only... did you
>>> import it without mounts indeed?
>>>
>>> //Jim
>>>
>> You surely can set the readonly attribute for a ZFS fs on a read-only
>> mounted zpool. Mounting the zpool readonly only seems to affect the
>> global setting. It seems to possible to change the ZFS FS attributes
>> without any issue. So the work around was…
>>
>> zpool import -o ro zpool
>> zfs set readonly=on zpool/zfs
>> zpool export zpool
>> zpool import zpool
>> zfs set readonly=off zpool/zfs
>>
>> This has always worked for me and it still does.
>
> Would be interesting to know under which cicumstances this problem
> appears. I saw from one of the crash dumps that there was a scrub
> active, could it be that this happens on servers which go down with
> an active scrub on that pool and fail to reactivate the scrub then ?

If looking at my post the Scrub was started after the system crashed.  I
wanted to see if a scrub might fix the issue of importing this data pool
in.  But when I saw the scrub was going to take 60+hours, I had to
re-export it out and back in read only so I could start migrating data
to a new location to keep the downtime to a minimum.

I not sure what caused the initial crash, I know I was working at the
time through the web gui of NappIt, I think my last action on the web
gui was to show all logical volumes.