[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installation on HD => 2TB

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Fri Feb 1 01:22:43 UTC 2013

To at least summarize your problem, without all the distracting irrelevant details and tangents of the OP and this thread in general...  Even if I don't have an answer for you ...

When you boot the OI installer DVD, with a 2TB drive attached, OI simply cannot see the disk.
When you boot the same system, with a 250G disk attached, OI installs just fine.  So at least this confirms OI can use the SATA controller (or whatever).  It suggests that the problem is the system can't handle drive of 2TB size...
However, you can install (what did you say, centos and ubuntu?) some other OS onto the 2TB drive, just fine.

So what gives?  Is it a driver problem, a hardware compatibility problem, or what?  And can anything be done about it?

My only suggestion is to check the drive mode.  I would guess you want AHCI, and I would guess it already is in AHCI mode, so I'm guessing this suggestion is no help.