[OpenIndiana-discuss] weird packet garbling problem

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Feb 2 18:43:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013, Jim Klimov wrote:

> On 2013-02-02 18:26, Jake Young wrote:
>> Oddly enough I never had any issues with the automounter or nfs share I was
>> backing up the V445 to.  One issue was with the ssh connection between my
>> OI desktop and the V445 dropping out (note there is very little text output
>> in my backup script) after an hour or two. My other issue was having the
>
> Speculating on these points, I'd suggest that:
> 1) NFS is by default over UDP, which may be more resilient to dropped
>   packets and adaptation to smaller sizes can be natively bundled.

>From mount_nfs manual page:

              By default, the  transport  protocol  that  the  NFS
              mount  uses  is  the  first available RDMA transport
              supported both by the client and the server.  If  no
              RDMA  transport  is found, then it attempts to use a
              TCP transport or, failing that, a UDP transport,  as
              ordered  in  the /etc/netconfig file. If it does not
              find a connection oriented transport,  it  uses  the
              first available connectionless transport.

So Solaris NFS mounts use TCP by default.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn