[OpenIndiana-discuss] weird packet garbling problem

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Sun Feb 3 16:40:29 UTC 2013

On 2/2/2013 11:36 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more I am suspicious of the broadcom NIC driver.

Which of the many Broadcom drivers is this?  If it's bnx, try editing
/kernel/drv/bnx.conf, and uncommenting and changing the "checksum=" line
to set it to all zeros.

In my experience, hardware offload for networking devices is a Very Bad
Thing.  It provides at best marginal performance improvements in the
rare cases where it does anything at all (basically "specmanship"), and
complete trashes data and destroys performance in ordinary use.  It adds
a ton of complexity to the driver software with little to show for it.