[OpenIndiana-discuss] New Zone User Questions

Andrej Javoršek drejc at ntf.uni-lj.si
Mon Feb 4 08:19:02 UTC 2013

Hello!
Welcome in this beautiful world!    ;)
1) It seems that sparse-root zones are no longer available after complete
switch to IPS!
2) I normally set IP addresses in the old fashioned Solaris style in
/etc/hostname.interface  (eg. with 10.0.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0).
And for the zones, with mask bits in the zone config step: eg. set address=
10.0.0.100/24
3) You can edit config files and copy them into zone but it makes sense to
doit  while zone is in ready state (not while running). Even
some installation steps described in the c0t0d0s0.org blog  suggests to
copy config files from global zone.
4) I believe I normally use xterm (or PC something).
5) The config seems O.K. only thing that can become problematic is 2GB of
RAM is really not enough to properly run fully-blown desktop (graphical)
with ZFS (presumably 64bit) and 3 additional zones (if they
will actually do something). It might run, but performance will be poor.
A while back you had to switch scheduling in global zone to get proper
results into FSS with command: dispadmin -d FSS (maybe in newer versions of
OI it is already done).

Regards
Andrej