[OpenIndiana-discuss] Buildable distro?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 12:09:13 UTC 2013

--- On Wed, 2/6/13, Stefan Müller-Wilken <stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de> wrote:

> From: Stefan Müller-Wilken <stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de>
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Buildable distro?
> To: "openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org" <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
> Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 2:28 AM
> Hi Reginald,
>
> have you had a look at http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Distribution+Constructor
> ? It has been tested with oi148 but might still work with
> oi151a_7 - and if not, was a good candidate for a wiki
> update... ;-)

Oh yes, that and a great deal more.  I'm looking for something that would make it possible to compile the kernel and userland w/o taking me a week (or more) to setup.  Almost all the docs I looked at were similarly outdated.

The current situation is the overhead of setting up the recommended build environment is too high a barrier to entry.  You have to setup zones, get a correctly patched compiler, etc.

Inaccurate documentation  and a brain dead installer turned a simple task into a 30 hour ordeal in the case of building a bootable RAIDZ array.  I don't even want to think about how much time setting up a build environment would eat.

If getting setup eats all the time I can spare to work on OI, then I won't ever do it.  I can afford 80-100 hours a year tracking down and fixing minor bugs.  I can't afford spending 200+ hours doing 80 hours of work.

OI wants contributors, but only wealthy ones need apply.

Have Fun!
Reg