[OpenIndiana-discuss] Buildable distro?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Feb 6 15:03:51 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-06 15:27, Stefan Müller-Wilken wrote:
> Well, I understand your grudge. I feel the same regarding the kernel itself. When linux can be built using "make dep clean all", then why must it be a major endeavor with IL/OI?
>
> But on the other hand, that's how Linux started back in the day, too. First distributions were a hell to set up but improved over time. If you can improve things just a fraction, then that's okay. Better than giving up. So, was the description on OI wiki outdated? What bit was missing?

One thing Reg mentioned may be my "fault" - the mention of zones in
conjunction with illumos compilation. I think the Wiki says this,
and I'd rather make it clear here again: this is not a requirement,
but a suggestion in order to keep your day-to-day working environment
in the global zone separate from the experiments in the build zones.
Certainly, it can all be done without zones, and without dedicated
datasets, etc. It is just that I like to compartmentalize things
like these - for fun or benefit (i.e. to use snapshots and clones
or rollbacks as needed), so I shared my procedure. For a simple
build, and for a novice wanting to just get it done once, those
extra suggestions were maybe an overkill. Still, there are commands
to copy-paste and go on, or skip and go on - so why not? ;)

As for the private OI distro-making - I asked this last week or so,
and am still eager to see a 1-2-3 howto ;)

//Jim