[OpenIndiana-discuss] ANN: The Firmbox StorageHypervisor

Helmut Hartl helmut.hartl at firmos.at
Wed Feb 6 20:30:59 UTC 2013

Hello Illumos Users!

First of all I want to thank that brilliant
engineers who made that all possible!
(especially ZFS, the KVM port and Illumos)

I have an hopefully interesting announcement to make.
We at FirmOS (Funny we have that name and
trademark since about 10 years)
are building a

"Business/Home StorageHypervisor"

on the base of an extended SmartOS.

The target is to have a handful of hardware
combinations which come to live with a stateless
USB stick. (SmartOS Style)

We strive to crowdfund our project and release it
as fully open source project
under a 3 clause BSD like license.

We soldered together HTML5, Websockets, a (DOJO) GUI,
ZFS, DTRACE, Fibrechannel (for the unconvincable old fashioned)
and of course SmartOS into one product.
Currently we are finishing the development.

To provide a realtime snappy GUI interface for the
statistics/pool visualization and the VM Consoles we boot
directly in our HTML5 Webapplicationserver with an embedded
OODB (no dependencies and 100% own development)

All communication between Webbrowser and Server is
after some initial HTML requests done over
Websockets, bidirectional and realtime.
(It even works on an iPad).

If you find that useful and want to support us or yell
at us, have a look at our video introduction/description
at indiegogo:

http://igg.me/firmbox

greetings and thanks,

  Helmut