[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem with bge driver

Ricardo NA rhab13 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 23:56:23 UTC 2013

Hi,

I found in this page http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Ethernet+Networking that a Broadcom NIC 5719 is supported with oi 151a7. In that page you can read "bge 15.4.3". So I assume this is the driver version from Broadcom wich I downloaded and tried to install. (BRCMbge-Solaris_11-i386-15.4.3.pkg)

The installer shows a pair of warning messages, about conflicting files, but continues and finishes. I installed with root. But afterwards there is no nic available in the system. I tried the usual advices: update_drv -a -i "pciex14e4,1657" bge, add_drv, check file /etc/driver_aliases , ifconfig -a plumb, sys-unconfig, etc. But the driver never attaches.

To make a test, in the same system I installed Solaris 11 and tried to install the same driver. I use the same procedure (uninstall previous driver, etc) and the same warning messages about conflicting files appeared. But this time at the end of the installer there was some messages about linking and creating devices files in /dev (which does not appear in oi) and afterwards the installer finishes and the nic is working!

Do you have any ideas about solving this issue? any advice?
Thank you!