[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem with bge driver

Ricardo NA rhab13 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 16:47:24 UTC 2013

> Hi,
>
>> I found in this page http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Ethernet+Networking
>> that a Broadcom NIC 5719 is supported with oi 151a7. In that page
>> you can read "bge 15.4.3". So I assume this is the driver version
>> from Broadcom wich I downloaded and tried to install. (BRCMbge-
>> Solaris_11-i386-15.4.3.pkg)
>
> OI should have a driver built-in for these types of NICs so why do you
> download another one from Broadcom?
> Haven't you tried OI's one first?

Yes I tried plain vanilla oi 151a7 but the nic is not recognized. In fact in the wiki page a month before was stated that the broadcom 5719 is not supported and in fact there is a feature request: https://www.illumos.org/issues/3446 about this. But last week it appears as supported with the text: "bge 15.4.3" so that's why I tried installing the broadcom driver.

>> The installer shows a pair of warning messages, about conflicting
>> files, but continues and finishes. I installed with root. But
>> afterwards there is no nic available in the system. I tried the
>> usual advices: update_drv -a -i "pciex14e4,1657" bge, add_drv, check
>> file /etc/driver_aliases , ifconfig -a plumb, sys-unconfig, etc. But
>> the driver never attaches.
>
> I have seen similar problems in the days when OpenSolaris was still alive.
> As far as I remember I only got problems using another driver downloaded
> from Broadcom's website so I finally stuck with the one built-in into the
> system...
>

>> To make a test, in the same system I installed Solaris 11 and tried
>> to install the same driver.
>
> As above: Why? Solaris 11 has built-in drivers that should work out-of-the
> box...
No, out of the box, solaris 11 does not recognize the Broadcom 5719.