[OpenIndiana-discuss] abandoned support for OpenOffice, Miozilla Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc.

cpforum cpforum at orange.fr
Sun Feb 10 10:03:20 UTC 2013

> Message du 10/02/13 05:03
> De : "Ian Collins"
> A : "Discussion list for OpenIndiana"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] abandoned support for OpenOffice, Miozilla Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc.
>
> jlane59 at cox.net wrote:
> > For your consideration:
> >
> > Support for several programs that I really enjoy has been
> > discontinued for the OpenSolaris / OpenIndiana platforms. It won't
> > be long before FireFox 3.6.12 becomes unacceptably obsolete ... and
> > OpenOffice 3.1.0 ... and Thunderbird 3.2.4 ... and Adobe Flash ...
> > and ?? The unfortunate result is that with no continuing support from
> > software providers, OpenIndiana is gradually drifting toward
> > obsolescence.
>
> What's wrong with contrib releases on
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/ is a better link. Solaris is in the contrib directory.
This link offers for exemple 17.0.2esr or 18.0.1 releases (no esr with http link).
I agree that not offering an up todate release inside openindiana IPS (there is no need
to update local language with ESR releases) makes it not very user friendly.

> Flash is dead on most platforms.

Flash is not dead on Linux. The release is frozen but you still have security updates.