[OpenIndiana-discuss] abandoned support for OpenOffice, Miozilla Firefox, Adobe Flash, etc.

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Feb 10 16:04:17 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013, cpforum wrote:

>> Flash is dead on most platforms.
>
> Flash is not dead on Linux. The release is frozen but you still have security updates.

The bizzare thing is that I find Flash to be more stable in its last
Solaris incantation than what I get from Firefox/Flash on Ubuntu
Linux.  Several times now I have had to use the power switch to reboot
the Ubuntu system (incuding just last week) because of massive memory
leaks in Firefox/Flash yet I can run Firefox/Flash on Solaris for
months at a time without a problem and it consumes 1/3 as much virtual
memory as the Linux version when the Linux version appears to be
working properly (before it leaks).  I also find that Firefox is more
responsive on Solaris.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn