[OpenIndiana-discuss] Quick zone-networking question.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 18:26:50 UTC 2013

Hi, all.

This is probably a stupid question, but suppose we have a modem for a DSL or T1 line, and attached to it is a router, and attached to it is a server with two network cards.  And suppose I was to connect both network cards to the router.  So we have something like this:

              Modem

              Router
                 |   |
              Server

I was thinking to have our apache web server, email, and whatever other zones on one network card, and perhaps put our tomcat zone on the other, in my mind, to balance the load.  I was thinking since the web apps that we'll run on tomcat will be using ajax, it might like more bandwidth.

I've always thought of networking like pipes of water -- except it's data.  I don't know how valid that is.  But when I look at this, it seems like I have two pipes going into the router, and if that pipe going from the router to the modem is the same size, I wouldn't really get any benefit from doing this.

Am I right?  Should I not bother using both network cards like this?

I'm at the point where I'm done "playing" (i.e. testing), and am putting all this stuff together now.

Thanks.