[OpenIndiana-discuss] Quick zone-networking question.

Grant Albitz GAlbitz at Albitz.Biz
Wed Feb 13 20:58:07 UTC 2013

Understand you are going to be restricted by your internet bandwidth in this instance. a T1 line is 1.54 Mbps. Dsl is generally not much higher, lets say 7Mbps for the sake of argument.

Your internal network is either 100Mbps or 1Gbps (1000). You used the pipe analogy. Your pipe out of the building is so much smaller then the pipes in the building that optimizing anything inside for network traffic is irrelevant.

From: DormitionSkete at hotmail.com [dormitionskete at hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:40 PM
To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Quick zone-networking question.

I wasn't going to bother with a switch because we're only going to have this one server and one other workstation connected with wired networking in this remote location.  This is going in a guest house, to serve our various websites, and some other applications we'd like to make available for our own use when we're out on the road.  Any other computers guests might bring there would connect wirelessly.

Oh, and we make a lot of videos.  We may start hosting those on this server at some point, too.

I was thinking more in terms of what would be the best way to get the internet traffic in and out of this server -- no other internal organizational network involved -- whether using two nics would be better than just one.

I was thinking we'd buy a block of five static IP addresses from the phone company.  One would go to the router.  One or two to the server.  The rest would be unused, for possible future needs.

We'd use ipfilter for port forwarding the various services to the correct zones.

I was thinking in real simple terms here, because I'm not much of a networker:  put some zones on one nic, and some on the other.

I guess what I'm concerned with is that I don't want to run into a bottleneck between the server and the router.  I can't do much between the rest of it - between the router and modem and the internet.

The router we're planning to use does not support IEEE 802.3ad link aggregation.  I suppose that if we needed to get a different router, we could.  And I think link aggregation might be within my abilities.  IPMP looks a bit more challenging.

So, is trying to avoid a bottleneck between the server and the router what you would consider internal or external?

I'd just like to make sure that when I set this up, I do it in a way that if things get way busier than they are now, that the network and server can handle it -- especially if we start hosting the videos.