[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana roadmap

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Tue Feb 19 11:55:58 UTC 2013

On 19/02/2013 12:41, "Weiergräber, Oliver H." wrote:
> Moreover, providing security fixes has been a defined goal of OpenIndiana right from the beginning.
>
> See the FAQ:
>
> Q: Will OpenIndiana provide security and bug fixes to their stable releases?
> A: Yes, absolutely. We view this as one of the key missing features that prevented widescale adoption of OpenSolaris in production environments.
>
> Precisely.
>
> I think a small fee for security fixes (on the order of, say, $50/y) would appear quite acceptable even to private or academic OI users.

But has OI (whatever that organization is) any infrastructure
to actually make offers, fulfill all the jurisdictional requirements
which are prevalent in different countries ? A private user can
always send some money somewhere, but as an organizational member,
I'm not allowed to send anyone money, instead, a financial and a
trade departement are doing that for us, and as a governmental
institution, we are bound to federal law, which has requirements
and formalia for vendors and a lot of papers to sign before a
single cent can be send elsewhere. I'm convinced that even not
a formal company not based in Germany (or the EU, but already
that is difficult) has any chance to fulfill those requirements.
And I don't know how complicated that is elsewhere.

If any of such service should be offered, the only way to do
this worldwide is to have regional agencies accepted by the
public law as a partner, such as Nexenta, Joyent etc, which
already settled at least in the major countries.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php