[OpenIndiana-discuss] Network inordinately slow: help devising fault-finding procedure needed!

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri Feb 22 14:03:40 UTC 2013

On 22/02/2013 14:57, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Just installed the OI-157.1.7 ISO w/o adding anything beyond default.
>
> The network is now inordinately slow, and I cannot easily see what's
> wrong: please suggest how to find out what's wrong.
>
> It is set up as follows:
>
> I disabled network/physical:nwam, enabled network/physical:default.
> Produced the hostname.e1000g0 and hostname.e1000g1 files (10.0.22.37 and
> ...38 ), enabled DNS with properly configured resolv.conf
>
> domain branneriet.se
> search branneriet.se
> nameserver 10.0.0.1
> nameserver 132.244.127.162
> nameserver 132.244.127.170
>
> and nsswitch.conf is the dns version.
>
> traceroute 8.8.8.8 takes almost a minute per step, on a seemingly
> similar box it's instantaneous.
>
> ping -s to other local boxes basically see one packet returned and all
> others lost.
>
> ping to the problem machine from other boxes are quick and normal with
> no losses.
>
> netstat takes almost a minute per line of output!
>
> dns fails, possibly because the response from the server is way too slow...
>
> What can the problem be?? I could have made some glaring error when
> setting up non-nwam network mgmt, or maybe this box has a HW error. But
> all 4 interfaces, two of which are extra cards??
>
> Box is a Supermicro X8STi based 1U server with 2x2TB system disks.
>
> As I said: installed SW is straight Openindiana 151.1.7 from a
> downloaded ISO and no special choices or additions or anything..
>
> I did fiddle around with NWAM before going the trad networking mgmt route.
>
> Any ideas on how to test for HW vs SW or missing packages or what, anyone?

/etc/defaultrouter ?
/etc/netmasks ?
/etc/hosts link to /etc/inet/hosts ?
/etcc/nodename ?
svcadm restart physical:default ?
svcadm restart dns:client ?
svcadm restart name-services ?
svcadm restart name-service-cache ?

--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php