[OpenIndiana-discuss] Down to earth roadmap

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Fri Feb 22 14:48:58 UTC 2013

For the time being, all we can expect is people to feel an 'inner urge' to put their personal time into this. Again: where would Linux stand today if early adopters had waited for support contracts or full-time positions to feed them? No, you must simply feel, or even stronger, you must *know* it is worthwhile.

I think simply collecting what is coming in from upstream and cutting (pre-)releases from that in predictable frequency would incredibly help. Why not settle for something similar to what OS did and Ubuntu does, cut a release for every quarter, name it OpenIndiana 2013.3, 2013.6 etc. and put in all that is coming in from illumos, kernel and ZFS repositories? That process should be put under continous build control if possible to ease handling. Complement that with nightly builds and we're in the game again.

People will rather use it when they see activity, users will eventually be supporters and enough users and supporters could mean a business case. And a business case could mean support contracts.

Someone around with experience in building prestables who could assist setting up a scripted build and maybe setting up a CI? Someone to share necessary infrastructure to host this? Then why not just start moving?

Cheers
Stefan