[OpenIndiana-discuss] complaint about dovecot in sfe IPS not starting.

Dmitry Kozhinov dima at desktopfay.com
Mon Feb 25 12:34:53 UTC 2013

Thank you for the replies. I need Dovecot only to provide an
authentication mechanism for Postfix. So all that I wanted to do:
- Install Dovecot;
- Run Dovecot service;
- Tweak Dovecot configuration so that Postfix can use authentication.

I have run GUI Package Manager (I am a newcomer from Windows world,
sorry...) and have searched for "dovecot". Strangely Webmin appeared in
the search results, obviously not what I need. So I added SFE repository
and searched again. The search revealed three packages:
- "dovecot/src" version: 2.1.14
- "imap/dovecot" version: 2.1.14
- "network/dovecot" version: 2.0.13

Note that all three packages indicate "Category: None", so that it is
impossible to find them using Category tree at left side of Package Manager.

I have installed the "imap/dovecot" package. Then (the # denotes command
prompt here):

# svcs dovecot
STATE          STIME    FMRI
disabled       17:54:49 svc:/site/dovecot:default

Aha, disabled. Trying to enable:

# svcadm enable dovecot
svcs dovecot
STATE          STIME    FMRI
maintenance    17:57:36 svc:/site/dovecot:default

Maintenance... Isn't it should run out-of-the box? Trying to apply your
advices:

# pfexec mkdir -p /etc/ssl/certs
# pfexec mkdir /etc/ssl/private
# cd /usr/share/doc/dovecot/example-config
# pfexec cp -p -R conf.d/ dovecot.conf /etc/dovecot/
# cd /usr/share/doc/dovecot
# pfexec sh mkcert.sh
# svcadm enable dovecot

And is it running?

# svcs dovecot
STATE          STIME    FMRI
maintenance    17:57:36 svc:/site/dovecot:default

Maintenance... Maybe another package "network/dovecot" is missing?
Trying to install with GUI Package Manager, and it says "No updates
necessary", and indicates that "network/dovecot" is not installed.

So I ended installing Dovecot from OpenCSW, which went trouble-free. Up
and running now.

- Dmitry.