[OpenIndiana-discuss] idmap timeout

James Relph james at themacplace.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 22:47:47 UTC 2013

> Unless I've badly misunderstood what I've read it can do that now.  Of course, comments and code are not always in agreement.  Or perhaps  the more common, "However, if you did that then, you can't do this now."

The thing is that there doesn't seem to be anything anywhere that actually says "ephemeral IDs will persist".  There's a cache, which you can change the timeouts for, but from what I can see it either updates the cache anyway, or updates the UID of cached objects.

> Ignoring that the only limitation I see is what will Windows & Mac OS reveal w/o requiring installing a program. If OI can query the AD hosts, then idmap can trigger an update on a fail of identifier lookup.  That's a pretty clean change.  One function call in the right place.

It's getting someone who can write the function call that is tricky!

James.