[OpenIndiana-discuss] openldap - lib/dev only?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Jan 12 21:41:57 UTC 2013

On 01/12/13 01:17 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
>   On a side note, I thought of building the particular
> program with static libraries, as to have less required
> dependencies on the executing systems. While SMColdap
> did include the libldap_r.a and such, the Sun and OI
> distro packages don't. Is this an oversight or a policy
> to discourage use of generic libs in a non-shared way?

Sun made a deliberate policy choice long ago to remove static libraries
from the OS, as it simply makes distributing bug fixes much harder and
much more expensive, as you have to find and recompile every program that
linked in a static copy of the library.   (And of course the memory usage
goes up with every program with their own static copy, and static libraries
are harder to provide platform-optimized versions of, and static libraries
make it harder to maintain binary compatibility, and the reasons just go on
and on.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com