[OpenIndiana-discuss] Are there any known problems with OI and jumbo frames MTU 9000

Flo florian at acw.at
Mon Jan 14 11:41:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

I want to make a dedicated storage network for iSCSI and nfs. All links
are gbit network cards.

We have two storages, one with OI148 and one with OI151a7.
On the OI148 storage:
  Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  Intel Corporation 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
  Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection

On the OI151a7 storage:
  Intel Corporation 82580 Gigabit Network Connection
  Intel Corporation 82580 Gigabit Network Connection
  Intel Corporation 82580 Gigabit Network Connection
  Intel Corporation 82580 Gigabit Network Connection
  Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
  Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection

I will use link-aggregation on the links for the storage network.

2 bonded links of each storage are connected to a separate Cisco switch
in an IBM Bladecenter. The blades are each connected to a switch-port on
the Cisco switch.
On the Cisco switch I configured link aggregation, too.

The IBM blades have all Braodcom nics.

The storage networks works very well with a MTU size of 1500.

My question:
Do I get a performance gain with a MTU size of 9000 and are there known
issues with OpenIndiana, link-aggregation and a MTU size of 9000?

Kind regards,
Florian