[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Crash

Ian Collins ian at ianshome.com
Wed Jan 16 03:10:38 UTC 2013

David Scharbach wrote:
> I have an OI installation that seems to crash about every 20 days.  Locks up completely and needs a hard reset.  Not very much fun.
>
> Question I have is where would I start to look to see why?  I first thought it may be due to scrubbing load on the LSI controller but that is not the case.  It crashed today hours after a curb was successful at 2AM.
>
> I am a new OI user and would really appreciate a bit of help on this one.  Basically looking for a crash dump of some sort and the locations that I have looked at don't really help.
>
> System is
>
> i3 CPU
> 32GB Ram
> LSI SAS2008
> Intel SAS expander
> 13 SATA 7200RPM drives
> Asus MB

Is there any evidence of a crash in the logs?

Look in /var/adm/messages for any clues and under /var/crash/<hostname>
for any dumps.

I'm not sure if there is a version of Solaris CAT (Crash Analysis Tool)
that works with OI.  If there is and you have a dump that's the best
place to look.

If there isn't any evidence of a crash, there's a fair chance you have a
hardware problem.  I'm guessing that with an i3 motherboard you won't
have ECC memory, so running memtest86 for a while would be a good start.

--
Ian.