[OpenIndiana-discuss] preserve configuration files on image-update - how?

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Thu Jan 17 11:59:28 UTC 2013

Dear all,

while updating from OI 151a_5 to 151a_7 worked smoothly for me, " pfexec pkg image-update -v" overwrote (at least) my dovecot configuration files  without backing up the existing ones (e.g. as rpm would with .rpmsave files). Yet another time I was happy to use OpenIndiana with its boot environments and snapshots. :-)

Is there a pkg command line argument to influence that behavior and have pkg save those files? Or is it entirely up to the respective package to trigger that in its spec file? What's the best practice in that case? Mount the old boot environment and then manually copy config files to the new boot environment? But how would I know what to look at?

Would be great if someone could point me at some best practices. TIA!

Cheers
 Stefan