[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI Crash

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 03:47:28 UTC 2013

As far as I'm concerned, problems like this are a bottomless abyss.  Which is why I'm still putting up w/ my OI box hanging.  It's annoying, but not critical.  It's also why critical stuff still runs on Solaris 10.

Intermittent failures are the worst time sink there is. There is no assurance that devoting all your time to the problem will fix it even at very high skill levels w/ a full complement of the very best tools.

If you're getting crash dumps there is hope of finding the cause, so that's a big improvement.

Good luck,
Reg

BTW Back in the 80's there was a VAX operator in Texas who went out to his truck, got a .357 and shot the computer.  His employer was not happy.  But I can certainly understand how the operator felt.