[OpenIndiana-discuss] December 27th 1986

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 16:37:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a home NAS that I'm running on an Asus E35M1-I (AMD E-350)
motherboard. When I do a shutdown using "init 5", and then physically
walk over to power it on (without ever unplugging the power),
sometimes the system powers up with the date set to December 27th
1986. I have ntp installed, so I get the right time a few minutes
after boot, but in the meantime a handful of timestamps are created,
eg. uptime:
 09:31am  up 9519 days 16:31,  1 user,  load average: 0.19, 0.36, 0.23

It happens every 3-4 power cycles, and has been happening
intermittently (I reboot maybe once every few months) since I
installed the system about a year ago as oi151a. Currently running
oi_151a7.

Has anyone seen this before (and what is the significance of 1986)?
Any suggested "quick fixes" that are unlikely to break anything else
(I'm happy with the system otherwise)?

Cheers,
Jan