[OpenIndiana-discuss] Harddisk > 2TB

Ulrich Hagen OpenIndiana-discuss at uhagen.de
Sun Jan 20 12:57:44 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I have recently added an Intel SASUC8I controller to my home file
server, and hooked up eight Western Digital Red 3000GB disks to it.

Only after I started filling up the new pool I noticed that the
capacity of the pool is not what I expected it to be.
And really: 'format' lists e. g. one of these disks as
  c1t0d0 <ATA-WDC WD30EFRX-68A-0A80-2.00TB>

My plan is now to buy an IBM ServeRAID-M1015 controller, flash it with
LSI IT firmware, and use that one instead.

Now my question: Can I keep my pool intact? I want to do this as
follows:
1 - Export the pool, power off the computer
2 - Remove the SASUC81, insert the M1015
3 - Power on the computer, import the pool.
4 - See that the pool's capacity has grown by about 5.4 TiB
(It is a RAIDZ2, and yes, I know that eight HDs is not an ideal size
for that.)

The 'autoexpand' property of the pool is set to 'on'.

In case it matters: I am running oi_151a7.

Thanks
Ulrich