[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mapping devices in OI to physical devices

Len Zaifman leonardz at sickkids.ca
Tue Jan 22 17:26:31 UTC 2013

We have just had a major system meltdown and it took several days to fix.

What we would have liked is 2 things we had on thumpers (Old SUN ZFS systems)

1) A tool to show the mapping of a solaris device name to a physical location
2) A tool to turn on the light on a disk via its solaris device name.

The process below is too painful, and we have other devices whose disks may go bad. Does either 1 or 2 above exist in openindiana? I could not find it, if it does.

Thanks.

The issue was:

OI (OpenIndiana Development oi_151a X86) reported:

Jan 22 10:57:43 archivea scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci at 7a,0/pci8086,3408 at 1/pci1000,3040 at 0 (mpt_sas10):
Jan 22 10:57:43 archivea        Disconnected command timeout for Target 18
Jan 22 10:57:43 archivea scsi: [ID 365881 kern.info] /pci at 7a,0/pci8086,3408 at 1/pci1000,3040 at 0 (mpt_sas10):
Jan 22 10:57:43 archivea        Log info 0x31140000 received for target 18.
Jan 22 10:57:43 archivea        scsi_status=0x0, ioc_status=0x8048, scsi_state=0xc

zfs performance went through the floor  and was intolerable(< 1 mb/sec where we had hundreds of MB/sec for resilver/scrubs and 100 MB/sec through the filesystem).

The defective disk was one of 45 disks in a Supermicro Jbod system (SC847E26-RJBOD1)

We finally found which disk it was by comparing serial numbers reported by iostat, disks that reported errors and the actual disk serial number (we pulled all 45 disks out to do this mapping). we do not want to repeat this process for our other devices.

Len Zaifman
Systems Manager, High Performance Systems
The Centre for Computational Medicine
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Ave.
Toronto, Ont M5G 1X8

tel: 416-813-5513
email: leonardz at sickkids.ca

This e-mail may contain confidential, personal and/or health information(information which may be subject to legal restrictions on use, retention and/or disclosure) for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.