[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI as ESXi guest

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 23:58:15 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 12:48 AM, Piotr Kaminski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after a month I will ask again: do you use OI as a guest system under
> ESXi with vmware-tools?
>
> As I wrote a month ago:
>
> I have several ESXi 5.0 boxes. I use virtualized openindiana on them. I
> always install vmware-tools.
> When ESXi 5.1 came out, I upgraded one of my boxes with 5.1 and
> vmware-tools inside it (from 8.5 to 9.0).
> I was not happy, as OI machine always crashed on shutdown or reboot -
> either issued by shutdown command or by vmtools.
> After some time, I reverted back to 5.0u1.
> Yesterday I upgraded the same box to ESXi 5.0u2 and vmware-tools to 8.6.
> I got the same behaviour with OI vm.
> I tried the same on completely different box - HP ML350G6. Result was
> exactly the same - kernel crash on every reboot/shutdown.
> I believe something is terribly wrong and OI151a7 and vmware-tools 8.6
> or 9.0 do not work properly.
>
> Is it working properly for anyone?
>
> Here is the link to my vmware-forum discussion:
> http://communities.vmware.com/message/2175644

Can you take a look at your crash dump and get some information from it
where the kernel crashed? The following wiki page will explain to you
how to extra useful info from crash dumps:
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/How+To+Report+Problems

Btw: really love the answer "a_nut_in" gave you - essentially a big warm
"fuck off".

Cheers,
--
Saso