[OpenIndiana-discuss] vcenter server sharenfs issue

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:05:19 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 03:57 PM, Sebastian Gabler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using a share via nfs as esxi datastore for more than a year. 3
> hosts have root access. I have added a vcenter server appliance to
> manage the esxi hosts, and added the vcenter server's IP address to the
> allowed hosts using "zfs set sharenfs=root=host1:host2:host3:vcsa
> dataset/share".
>
> Still, all write actions that are issued to the nfs datastore through
> the vcsa fail with access problems, while they succeed issues through
> the hosts directly. Unfortunately, some actions like cloning or moving
> virtual machines require the vcsa to access the nfs datastore.
>
> I have subsequently re-started the nfs service on my openindiana
> machine, and re-booted the vcsa to no avail. I have browsed the web for
> this issue and did not find a related answer. If anybody has a good idea
> what to do, I would be thankful.

While I don't know what the answer is, I suggest the following
diagnostic steps:

 1) snoop the NFS traffic and compare the differences between the
    machines that work and those that don't

 2) does the NFS server print anything in /var/adm/messages or dmesg?

 3) isn't the NFS server running IPF by any chance? (just guessing)

Cheers,
--
Saso