[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 151_a7 install on 4k sector disk

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 16:29:31 UTC 2013

Sigh...  Thanks Jan.  On to plan B, whatever that is.  I'd really been hoping to have 4x3 TB RAIDZ w/ a mirrored root pool.  It's still doable, but it will be tedious to stuff two more disks in the box.

FWIW The drive in question is a replacement for a 512 byte HGST drive that I had to RMA.  It lies about the sector size and causes format(1m) to dump core on Solaris 10 U8.  As it turns out, I was able to properly label the drive using the OI 151_a7 text installer shell.  With that done, Solaris 10 allowed me to create a pool and I'm currently copying files from a USB drive using zfs send.  I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet, but it's at least a hopeful sign.

I tried to do this before, but via a USB/SATA adaptor which apparently didn't work past 2 TB.  My regular OI box only has one SATA port.

Note the wiki entry for 4k sector drives has broken links to a modified zpool command that sets ashift=12.

Have Fun!
Reg