[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 151_a7 install on 4k sector disk

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 21:57:26 UTC 2013

Doesn't work w/ an initial offset of 256 either.  I suspect that it's something to do w/ it being an USB disk.  It's been an EFI label in both instances.  I tried offsets from 34 to ~64 w/o any change in behavior.

BTW what's the deal w/ 34?  If you try to set anything smaller it's disallowed, though I did manage somehow to get it set to 6.  There is a *lot* of inconsistency in the rules in the various parts of the format(1m) utility.

I had to dd /dev/zero to straighten up one of the messes I made.  I got into a situation where I could not write a label at all until I did that.

It would be really nice if one could do a zfs send to an USB disk for backup.  Even better if you could form a USB based RAIDZ w/ 3 TB disks.

Have Fun!
Reg