[OpenIndiana-discuss] i7 cpu that accepts ECC Ram

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Jan 27 00:17:25 UTC 2013

cpus that supports ECC ram.

Is there a motherboard that supports both?

Further, please feel free to suggest the best setup in your opinion
for running OI, (primarily for the zfs based storage setup with
several mirrored pairs of discs) but also at least one vm with a win7
based guest capable of running all the adobe tools and any of the
associated cpu intensive chores involved with editing video and other
intensive Graphics chores.

Note: This would be a single user setup.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

More detail:

I want to build up a system with 16-32 GB ram that can run openindiana
but can also run vms with at least one of them hosting a heavy duty
Win7 OS, capable of using all the adobe tools to the max.  But also
several other vms running various linux based OSs.

I noticed, while using the "build it yourself" type things on ebay
(mostly 'SuperMicro' sponsored) that when building any of the i7 based
setups, none listed asus motherboards (or any other brand I found)
that say explicitly they support ECC ram.

Whereas, when building based on recent AMD cpus, nearly all the asus
motherboards listed show explicit support for ECC ram.

I've also seen threads in various online forums suggesting no i7 based
system can use ECC ram.  Hopefully someone here will know the actual
state of affairs.