[OpenIndiana-discuss] FWIW 4k sector disks on Solaris 10

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 13:42:55 UTC 2013

The 3 TB HGST 4k sector disk supplied on RMA to replace a 512 sector disk is now working very nicely under Solaris 10 U8.

To recap, On 10 the drive caused format(1m) to dump core if I attempted to select it to create a label.  However, labeling the disk using OI_151a7 allowed me to create a 3 TB single disk ZFS pool on 10. I cannot recall if I tried this w/ 151a5 or not.  As I recall I was not able to get it to play nice w/ a5, but there may have been some other hardware issues.  In this case the 151a7 instance was on an N40L.

I just measured 102 MB/s doing:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/scr/zero.dat bs=64k count=1000000

Obviously not the true transfer speed, but a good approximation and good enough.

Now if I could just boot OI from one....

Have Fun!
Reg