[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI rpool on USB flash in N40L?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 15:35:19 UTC 2013

--- On Sun, 1/27/13, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> OI may not play nicely by default with relocated (split-off)
> rootfs
> portions, see my notes and workarounds in bugtracker:
>
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/829
>
> While my notes and patch (https://www.illumos.org/issues/829#note-15)
> are inclined towards storing the split-off datasets in the
> same rpool,
> nothing IMHO fundamentally precludes you from storing them
> on datasets
> in a different pool, as long as you can import it during
> boot (perhaps,
> forcing the import regardless of zpool.cache by the means of
> a helper
> SMF service as a dependency to satisfy
> svc:/filesystem/minimal), if
> you relocate some FSes too important for the full boot -
> i.e. system
> logs. If there is a problem with that pool, however, then
> you might
> want to use some tmpfs-satisfied mounts for the logs/temps,
> or even
> let the flash be (ab)used for a while.

Thanks.  After reading that 4x2 TB wins. It's a bit disturbing reading your narration of the various hidden dependencies that have crept in.

BTW This was the first time I used the text installer.  I found the root shell it provided much improved over past experience w/ the desktop ISO for 151a5 and 148.  It certainly felt competent to recover a system, especially w/ a small drive w/ personal utilities available.  I'm much encouraged by the progress OI has made and feeling pretty comfortable using it for production work.

Thanks for keeping me out of the rabbit hole.

Have Fun!
Reg