[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana roadmap

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Jan 28 15:09:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Dmitry Kozhinov wrote:

>> How much are you willing to pay for this service?
> Correct me if I am wrong, but "roadmap" and "paid services" are different
> things.
>
> The fact that OI is an open source and community driven project does not mean
> a "no roadmap" strategy.

I was referring more to the request for "security supported version"
which implies that someone is continually monitoring security alerts
and issues and issuing fixed packages and security notices.

This sort of thing is more easily done if the people doing the work
receive compensation for it rather than doing the work in their spare
time from a different paying job.

If there was an "OpenIndiana Foundation" which could receive
contributions/payments, then it would be possible to pay someone to
act as a security coordinator with sufficiently real-time response.

If Oracle thinks that it can collect $1k per socket, then this
suggests that the OpenIndiana user-base could voluntarily contribute
to the foundation for a small fraction of what a commercial enterprise
would pay Oracle.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn