[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 151_a7 install on 4k sector disk

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jan 29 11:56:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-28 19:54, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> My understanding is that it is not possible to boot from an EFI labeled disk.  Has that changed?  In a way it's moot as I just got the UPS tracking info for 3x2 TB disks.  But the info might help someone else.
> The Oracle docs I was pointed to were very specific that you couldn't have a VTOC label larger than 2 TB and couldn't boot from an EFI label.
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/819-2723/disksconcepts-14/index.html

Given the statement that Oracle managed to change something in this
regard in recent Solaris, I wonder what it was? Ditch the VTOC-only
support in installer/GRUB/rpool import and mount, and allow use of
plain GPT partitions?

> The real issue I had w/ the current OI installer is not allowing the use of existing slices.

In my Wiki post you've read, one of the reasons to do manual installs
(copy of files from Live media) was explicitly the desire to co-exist
OI with an older rpool, i.e. to facilitate migration. I have one such
system where SXCE-117 coexists with OI (and migration is slowly under
way during rare permitted downtimes), with rpool version being 15.

But yes, enhancements in this and some other regards to the installer
(GUI, text, automated) so that manual tricks are no longer required,
would be most welcome :)

//Jim