[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking problem.

DormitionSkete@hotmail.com dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 1 18:31:10 UTC 2013

We got internet service set up at a remote location where we want to run an OpenIndiana 151a7 server.  I have a real strange networking problem there, though.

We have a modem from the ISP that gives us 5 static IP Addresses.

The theory was to have a Cisco router with one-to-one network translation to the server's 192.168.0.__ nic's.

I was running into all sorts of problems getting the OI server to be visible to the world, and to also be able to see the world, so I brought a Linux server to the remote location to see if it was a problem with the OI server, or with the ISP, or something else.

The Linux server works fine.  It can see the world, while running through this router, and the world can see it.  It can see the Apache web server and everything.  Oddly enough, I can see apache from the world even though the port for it is not open in the router's firewall !  But I can live with that, if I can just get the rest of it working.

However, this Linux server works just as long as the OI server is not powered on.

As soon as I connect the OI server to the network, none of the computers can see the world, and the world cannot see them.

If I turn the OI server back off, and reboot the router, everything starts working again.  (I have to reboot the router.  The Linux server cannot connect to the internet until I do.)

I was able to copy some text from the terminal of the OI server, paste it into a text file, and then use samba to transfer it to a computer that can see the world -- after I disconnected the OI server and rebooted the router.  So the OI server is not shutting down the entire LAN.  It seems to be maligning the DNS and / or some other portion of the network, though.

On the OI server, if I try to ping someone -- whether it be the router, or an outside IP Address, I get the following:

myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~# ping -Rvs 70.58.190.52
PING 70.58.190.52: 56 data bytes
ICMP Host redirect from gateway dsicons.net (192.168.0.3)
 to dsrouter.ds (192.168.0.1) for 70.58.190.52
ICMP Port Unreachable from gateway theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1)
 for udp from theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) to theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) port 53
ICMP Port Unreachable from gateway theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1)
 for udp from theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) to theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) port 53
ICMP Port Unreachable from gateway theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1)
 for udp from theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) to theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) port 53
ICMP Port Unreachable from gateway theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1)
 for udp from theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) to theotokos.dsicons.net (127.0.0.1) port 53
^C
----70.58.190.52 PING Statistics----
27 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Here is my ifconfig:

myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~# ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
bnx0: flags=1100943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,MULTICAST,ROUTER,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 4
	inet 192.168.0.4 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
	ether 0:18:8b:51:c5:b9
lo0: flags=2002000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6,VIRTUAL> mtu 8252 index 1
	inet6 ::1/128
bnx0: flags=20002004941<UP,RUNNING,PROMISC,MULTICAST,DHCP,IPv6> mtu 1500 index 4
	inet6 fe80::218:8bff:fe51:c5b9/10
	ether 0:18:8b:51:c5:b9
myadmin at theotokos.dsicons.net:~#

It looks to me like it's not getting to use bnx0 's 192.168.0.4 nic.

Other info:

I tried connecting the second nic in the server to the modem, and setting the nic to use DCHP.  The modem assigned it one of the IP Addresses that should be reserved for the static IP's.

The last person I spoke to at the ISP's support said she reconfigured the modem so it should route all the static IP's to the router.

So:

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here, or what I can do to try to get this mess straightened out?

Any help will be *greatly* appreciated!

Peter, hieromonk