[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana server networking, problem.

Marcus Agehall agehall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 22:49:43 UTC 2013

On 1 jul 2013, at 23:33, openindiana-discuss-request at openindiana.org wrote:

> Mr. Carlson, I really appreciate your help.
>
> Answers to your question are below.
>

> On Jul 1, 2013, at 3:20 PM, James Carlson wrote:
>
>> On 07/01/13 16:45, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:
>>> It still cannot see the internet.
>>
>> Is 192.168.0.1 your NAT box (your "router")?
>>

> 192.168.0.1 is the cisco router.
>
> 192.168.0.4 is the physical nic of the machine.  (theotokos.dsicons.net)
>
> 192.168.0.3 is the "routert3" zone.

Hang on a second. Which vmic is 192.168.0.3? vnic3? If so, I think you are in trouble.

I'm struggling to make sense of what you are trying to do here. To me, it seems like you are creating a very complicated network setup for something that is very straight forward.

Let's get back to some basics. Can you ping 192.168.0.1? Can you ping anything else on your local network?

I suspect that the ICMP-redirects are screwing you over big time. I'm with James on this one, DO NOT USE THEM. There are certainly cases where they are useful, but this does not seem to be one. From what I can tell, you are to do NAT and port mapping.

I'd recommend you drop all the ICMP redirects for now - it's probably where things goes wrong and it's not the right solution for your problem. If you still insist that you need the redirects, capture a few ping requests with tcpdump and let us have a look at what is going on.

//Marcus